Friday, 13 March 2009

28 Feb 2009. Go West

We visited the Lisson Gallery on 1 March 2009.  We went to see Gerard Byrne, it was a pretty interesting show, using of reference to performance artist like Robert Morris with shells  on the glass performance as projection installation....and strange video about Nazi and strange fragment of history... we entry this mass dark space....the setting of the film is almost just as intimating as the film it self..... however... the  upstairs work for me is far more interesting, consist of silent film about river and dead deer.... a black photo still of dead deer, the whole room is paint black.... go against the sun light..... the work is deliberately present itself as silent object....and dark room really draw away the real focus of the work....it is like try to remember the feeling when you travel.... piece of images and sound...and some paper left behind.....it is a interesting show....not the type will bright up your spring Sunday afternoon, but make you think on a good Wednesday late evening. 

But it was amazing to have Lisson Gallery Nicholas Logsdail, who has devote his long careers to art....handling some of the most interesting British Artist like Richard Wentworth, Alish Kapoor, Dan Graham some really interesting young artists like Daniel Buren, Jane & Louise Wilson, sometimes with good few pieces from Jonathan Monk. 

I worked with him during the Frieze Art Fair .....and he was great and never lack the energy to share his appreciation for art.  He also one of the contributor to books like The Artist's Yearbook 2006....and gave a big section on advise and tips on young artists, or art entrepreneur.  It was a very interesting talk with him.... what I like about him is that...a man in his influential status ......he is still take opportunity to learn and expanding new knowledge...and exploring the unknow that art can bring....like many artistic mind people......he talked about cave painting....so some Ancient holly sight....  and I think he still thinking where art can go in the world.....and he is aware of the fact that the art might not longer just belong to gallery.  

He is not too hot about the new hype of Chinese Art and YBA which I believe he has all the right to.  But later on when we start to talked about green power and world pollution.....I know I might have to unplug his one man show.  The question from art graduate ....... "how hard is it to let gallery people to see my work" It was very nice he showed us his BlackBurry mobile....and there are tones of private view invites from strangers to event people he know for long time. As an young graduate from any art school you thought that is cool... I guess you will be lucky not to get deleted in his BlackBurry....however...I think that can make you believe that if you wanna make it....don't just rely on sending random email or message to galleries. 


No comments:

Post a Comment